Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A.F.K

Well, I've had some mega down time in the blogging world, and indeed the internet in general, on account of some extremely inconvenient moving of house. On top of that, I've only got my mobile phone to take photos on at the moment, so my photos don't really do the food justice! I'm going to buy a shiny new Canon G9 to replace my beloved 1 megapixel A10 (RIP!).

So there are my poor excuses for not keeping up to date! I've only cooked a few meals at my new house, but a very welcome addition of a gas stove to the kitchen has put a lot of excitement into cooking with my cast iron pan! I'm convinced food tastes better if cooked on a gas stove.

I've had a pretty busy couple of week, but one particular day was notable in the food department, as one of my good friends made me dinner. Not many non-veggie people know how to cook up something tasty and vegan, and so having friends cook for me is quite a rare experience. I think she did a pretty good job of cooking up a pasta bake - she'd even gone to the trouble of buying some "super melting" vegan cheese to put on top, but as you can imagine, it refused to melt, as is the tradition with pseudo cheese. For dessert, we had strawberries and grapes, with some soy yoghurt, which I think proved that not all vegan alternatives are as bad as soya cheese!

The following day, I returned the favour, and made us a curry. Curry is my speciality - I live on curries!

Curry

Curry
1 tsp Whole Coriander Seeds
1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tbsp Sunflower Oil
1/2 Red Chilli
1 Onion
1 Carrot
1 Potato
1/4 inch Ginger, peeled
1 tbsp Garam Masala
5 Brussel Sprouts
1 cup of Broccoli
1/2 Courgette
3 tbsp Tomato Puree
1 tsp Dark Miso
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup Frozen Peas
1/4 Red Bell Pepper
1 cup of Spinach
Small Pinch of salt

Heat up large cast iron pan, and dry roast the coriander, fenugreek and cumin seeds for about 2 minutes, until they start releasing their aroma, then transfer seeds to pestle and mortar for a good bashing.

Heat up oil in pan, and add onions and chilli, and cook for 3 minutes, with powdered seeds. Add root vegetables and finely chopped ginger, Garam Masala, and sprouts (quartered). Carry on cooking on a fairly high heat. If it gets a bit dry (which it will) add a 1/2 cup of water, and carry on stirring; as its a cast iron pan, you don't have to worry much about things sticking. If it dries out again, add a few more splashes of water. Continue cooking for 5 mins.

Add the broccoli and courgette, tomato puree and a few more splashes of water if needed, along with the Miso, which should help thicken up the curry. Simmer for another 15 mins, adding more water if necessary to get the right consistency. Add the peas, spinach and garlic, and season if needed.

Serve and enjoy!

I love how dark this curry gets, all the iron-y goodness going into the food, but you can't taste it. I managed to find some suitable naan bread in the local supermarket to accompany the meal, which turned out to be really nice! I also cooked up a pot of rice, but I'm so used to cooking for one, that I forgot to double the quantity of water...! Oops! I wish I had have got a photo of the smoothie that she made whilst I was doing the curry - it was so green! Spinach, ice, orange juice, tomatoes and cucumber. It tasted healthy :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere!!

That's so sweet of your friend to cook for you. =) It's so nice when people go out of their way and really put some thought into what you're eating, instead of assuming that you can just eat a salad and some side dishes.

Ooooooooh your curry looks delicious!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Yay, you're back :o). Congratulations on the move!

I agree with Romina that your curry looks delicious. As for my rice dish, I did cook the rice first, then added all the other stuff. But sometimes I cook it all up together, and sometimes I sautee the veggies first, then add cooked rice to the sauteed veggies.

P.S. I'm adding you to my blogroll.

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

I love the way you've arranged that curry bowl! It reminds me of those metal tiffin lunchboxes they use in india.

Ruby Red said...

I'm glad to see you posting again, and it was really, really nice of your friend to cook for you! People just need to be educated that vegans don't eat only eat vegetables (and vegan cheese, haha). And since you're a curry expert, I will probably be coming to you the first time I make one! I like curries a lot, and naan too. Hopefully you'll get your new camera soon!

DJ said...

That curry looks amazing - I too love curries, so healthy, so yum, so 'whatever's left in the veg cooler' versatile! I find my friends get terrified at the prospect of cooking for me and lose all common sense with regard to what I can and can't eat so good on your friend for not serving up just beans on toast!

DJ said...

BTW - I'm tagging you - please visit my blog for instructions!